Everything You Need To Know About COPD and Its Treatment in New York
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, also known as COPD, is a serious medical condition that affects millions of people worldwide. It is a progressive lung disease that makes it increasingly difficult to breathe over time, leading to a significant reduction in quality of life. Despite its prevalence, COPD is often underdiagnosed and undertreated, leading to unnecessary suffering for patients.
We at Hadi Medical Group specialize in an array of services including COPD treatment in Brooklyn and Hempstead, NY. We hope to enlighten you about this dangerous lung disease and its causes, symptoms, and treatments.
What Is COPD?
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is a chronic lung disease that keeps the lungs from functioning properly. It is a progressive illness that gradually worsens over time and can have a negative impact on the quality of the patient’s life. It causes persistent symptoms like breathing difficulties, coughing, chest tightness, and other breathing-related issues.
COPD significantly reduces the lungs’ function by constricting and narrowing the airways. Therefore, catching it early so you can treat the condition and prevent it from worsening through lifestyle changes is one way to manage COPD.
What Causes COPD?
There are several things that can cause and contribute to the development of COPD such as cigarette smoking, environmental factors, and genetic factors.
- Cigarette smoking: When a person inhales cigarette smoke, it damages the lungs’ airways and alveoli, which ultimately results in inflammation and scarring. The inflammation makes the airways narrow and the scarring makes them stiff, which can eventually lead to difficulty breathing.
- Environmental factors: People who live in heavily polluted areas or work in industries where they are regularly exposed to toxic substances are at increased risk of developing COPD. Exposure to toxins such as sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide from industries such as mining, construction, and agriculture can increase the risk of COPD.
- Genetics: Individuals with a family history of the disease are at a higher risk of developing COPD. Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency is an inherited genetic condition that affects the lungs and can cause severe COPD in individuals who smoke or are exposed to pollutants.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of COPD?
The signs and symptoms of COPD vary from person to person, and they may develop slowly over time. You should take note of these signs as soon as they develop to ensure quick and efficient treatment. So, what are the early warning signs of COPD?
- Shortness of breath: COPD causes difficulty breathing, especially when an individual is being active. This symptom is also known as dyspnea. Individuals with COPD may feel like they are constantly trying to catch their breath and may find it challenging to complete everyday activities.
- Persistent cough with mucus: A chronic cough with mucus is another common symptom of COPD, and it’s usually worse in the morning or when an individual is exposed to irritants such as smoke, dust, or cold air.
- Chest tightness: COPD can also cause chest tightness, which makes it uncomfortable for an individual to breathe. This symptom is often accompanied by other symptoms such as shortness of breath.
- Weight loss: As patients’ bodies work harder to breathe, they require more energy, which can lead to weight loss. Patients may also become dehydrated as they breathe rapidly, leading to a decrease in the amount of fluid in the body.
- Wheezing: This is a high-pitched whistling sound that occurs when breathing out. It occurs because of airway obstruction as the air must flow through narrow passages in the lungs. Wheezing is more common when performing physical activities.
Once you notice these symptoms, you should see our physicians in Brooklyn and Hempstead, NY, Dr. Mehvash Hadi, Dr. Shariyar Hadi, and Dr. Memoona Waheed, for consultation and treatment.
Types of COPD
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a progressive respiratory disease that keeps the lungs from performing their functions due to the obstruction of the airways. The most common types of COPD are chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
Chronic bronchitis is characterized by inflammation and excessive mucus production in the bronchioles, making it difficult for air to pass through. Chronic bronchitis symptoms include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, and chest tightness.
Emphysema, on the other hand, is a respiratory condition that causes damage to the alveoli or air sacs in the lungs, leading to the obstruction of airflow. This results in symptoms like shortness of breath, coughing, and chest tightness. Smoking is one of the main causes of emphysema.
Effective COPD Treatment in Brooklyn and Hempstead, NY
At Hadi Medical Group, we offer effective and quality COPD treatment in Brooklyn and Hempstead, NY. Our physicians provide exceptional medical solutions for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Book an appointment with us today to get lasting and effective relief from COPD.